March 22, 2010

Can You Believe It?

I had my second Q&A interview today with a Public Relations rep today. I'm trying to meet as many people in the field as I can in an effort to learn more about it and, of course, make contacts that might lead to a future job.
Ever since my Communications and Media class introduced me to the importance of writing in the PR industry, I've sought out to learn more about it. You know, being an English major, I often get asked, "what do you plan on doing with your degree?" I just never expected my answer to be PR. But the more I learn about it, the more I get excited about my future in the field.
My first interview was with someone in the cruise industry. Today's was with someone in insurance. As different as their tasks seem to be, there were a lot of similarities too. For instance, both companies are starting to focus on social media. The second, is that both people mentioned how fast-paced, challenging and how varied the work is. Both of those excite me.
Because I've been inspired by these interviews and found their advice relevant and helpful, I have decided to pick back up with my blog. If my goal is to work in PR and focus on social media, I should practice what I preach and focus more time on the social media that I'm already a part of.
Is it possible that I've found my career? All signs point to yes. My next step is to continue to meet as many people in PR as possible to ask questions and network. I've never had the desire to do so much work for a potential job/career. I must really want this!

1 comment:

HELLOmynameisBianca said...

You seem very driven; try doing an internship with a PR firm that you relate to. Many PR firm's have a variety of clients. Check out books on Publicity. Stay focused and never give up on your dreams.