June 19, 2009

Kinlie

When I was 12 I got a phone call that excused me from class. I walked back into the room 5 minutes later as an aunt. Soon after the phone call my family packed up the car and drove from Oregon to Idaho to see my sister and the new addition. A few years later I was invited to spend the summer with my sister so that I could help her with that addition plus a newer one. I eagerly packed up all the important things in my life (at age 14 that consisted of clothes and more clothes) and anxiously waved goodbye to my nagging, overbearing, and strict parents for the good life with my sister. The good life at that time meant freedom to watch MTV and stay up late. Unfortunately for my nieces, that did not make me the best babysitter. I am very sorry for that.
Despite the lack of quality time that I retrospectively spent with Kinlie and Hanna, I remember those summers fondly. My sister is 14 years my senior which made me closer in age to my nieces. Since I had desperately wanted a younger sibling, those girls answered the wish upon a star that I made as a little girl.
Until I graduated from High School, I spent every summer with them. Again, I neglected to take complete advantage of the opportunity, but I have forgiven myself for 'acting like a teenager' and see those times as irreplaceable. When I finally moved out on my own I truly missed the company of my 'little sisters'.
I pestered my oldest sister constantly to get permission for Kinlie and Hanna to come and spend a summer with me. She was hesitant for many relevant reasons: my pot smoking habit, my lack of concern over maintaining their innocence, my constant use of explitives, etc. So when she finally agreed to have Kinlie come visit me this summer, I was elated.
Despite her permission, I waited for something to fall through but it didn't. A few weeks ago my husband and I drove to Montana to witness Kinlie's graduation from high school and drove back to Seattle with her in tow. Over the next eight days we maximized usage of our time.
To summarize:
-Alki
-Greenlake
-Visiting Tom and introducing Kinlie to her cousin, Klaire
-Space Needle
-Monorail
-Downtown shopping
-UW Campus walk plus a trip to the Art Supply section of the bookstore
-Bainbridge Island and a Ferry Boat trip
-More shopping
-Pike's Place Market
-The Seattle Art Museum
-more shopping
-Kayaking on Lake Union
-tennis at Alki
-AND introducing Kin to 9 of our favorite movies.
Those eight days flew by.
We had such a great time hanging out and re-learning about each other. I spent some time showing her how to cook pad thai, edimame, poached chicken, clean and prepare shrimp, and to make "The Freeman Special" (mac and cheese with a side salad for nutritional value). She tried sushi for the first time, confronted her fear of heights at the Space Needle, and got artistic with canvases and a new pair of Converse shoes. We ganged up on my husband, sang in the car, and laughed a lot.
I expected Kinlie to sleep in until noon everyday, but she was up and ready to seize the day when the sun rose. It gave us a chance to fit everything in, but it was sure exhausting! By the time I guided her through airport security and said goodbye to her I was ready to have some "Amaya-Time". So I was a little surprised to find myself tearing up.
As I mentioned earlier, I had always wished for a little sister and found two in my nieces. Having wasted most of my previous time with them watching MTV, I had hoped to get a second chance and some quality time with one of my girls - and I finally did! I thought about that as I hugged Kinlie at the airport and tears swelled in my eyes. I finally got to acknowledge how important she is to me by clearing my schedule and devoting eight full days to her. And it was over: She was going home.

No comments: