November 14, 2007

Photosynthesis

Today's 4:30 feels like July's 10:00. Granted, the sun never really surfaced today but it sure is dark outside. For the first time since early Spring, I had to pull out my Go-Lite for some good juju. This little $150 contraption is a necessity in Seattle. Or a tanning bed, but I hear those are more expensive and slightly more harmful for your skin.
Last night Logic and I watched part of the Discovery Channel's mini-series Planet Earth . The segment called Pole to Pole talked about Antarctica to the North Pole and everything in between. Some of it was breath-taking, some depressing and some made me giggle (like watching baby polar bears walk for the first time). But one thing I found to be really interesting was that trees don't grow above a certain latitude because the sun's rays never make it all the way to the Earth. Sure, the sun is shining in the sky, but it's not close enough to provide energy for photosynthesis.
Which leads me to the mantra getting me through today - Hey! Seattle might be gray but at least we get photosynthesis.

3 comments:

Middle Girl said...

Well see, there ya go. Silver lining and all that. :)

~~Planet Earth series is freaking amazing. I can't wait to see it on a wide screen in high definition. But even on my dinky set--amazing.

Gail Peck said...

Indeed you do have photosynthesis--beautiful trees from what I can tell from your pictures. Keep that Go-Lite going. They say necessity is the mother of invention and that light is probably a great example of that.

Amaya said...

Gail, I would have to agree.