March 28, 2008

Slowly But Surely, I Am Becoming the Person I've Always Wanted to Be

One quarter down and 5 more to go; I am anxious to get back to school. Spring Break has been nice but it is a reminder of how little I was doing before I went back. The two classes I took last quarter have proven to be instrumental in getting me on the path I need to take. My English class refreshed my knowledge of writing a paper and analyzing literature. My Art class showed me a new side of myself; I am a feminist. It also led me to take the next step in my education. I am signed up for Sociology of Religion. I don't think I would have been able to take that class without having taken my Art class because it opened my eyes to how I truly feel about organized religion and took the fear out of it. I can hardly wait to learn more about religion in general and to finally see it from an outside perspective.
My anxiety finally feels under control. I have been seeing a new therapist since November and Susan has changed my life. To summarize an analogy from Aaryn: she is the Manolo Blahnik of therapists. Together we have translated the jumbled mess that was residing in my head and it feels amazing! There are times when I get a glimmer of how I used to feel and I quickly alter my thought process. Those moments are a reminder to be grateful for all the hard work I've put into my progress.
I am organizing my life around exercise and loving it. Yoga has been the primary focus for months now and I truly feel its intention. It is hugely responsible for my lack of anxiety (along with what Susan has taught me). Recently I started taking Hip Hop classes again and it is filling my soul up in a way I'd forgotten dance can do. In every class I have at least one moment where the moves are not longer thought about; they just come. And it is such a rush.
I am closer to Logic because of all these factors. We talk about what I'm learning in class and yoga and I think I can even take some credit for getting him back into reading. This makes me happy on so many levels - one of which being that it gives us even more to talk about. We are diving deeper into conversations we've already had and learning more about each other every day.
I am so grateful to finally look at myself and see the person that was hiding inside for so long. She is blossoming and her evolution is so far from over.

3 comments:

Middle Girl said...

This is so exciting. I'm so excited for you and the changes you've experienced and those yet to come.

Rock on!

Whiskeymarie said...

I REALLY need to get back into my yoga classes- I can't believe how much more clear-headed I was when I was going. Lately I just can't muster up the energy for any sort of exercise- all the more reason to get my butt off the couch and get back to class.

Gail Peck said...

This is one of the most inspiring and thrilling posts I've read on your blog--I cannot tell you how thrilled I am. I was heading to bed but something made me go to your bookmark and am I ever glad I did. :-)