March 31, 2008

The Douche Awards

I was inspired this morning.
As I walked out of my building, I saw a large truck taking up two parking spaces on an already packed street. Just to paint an accurate picture, he was parallel parked, so it had nothing to do with the size (or lack thereof) of his truck. He was just being a douche.
This is a common occurrence on my street and it angers me in a way that it probably shouldn't because it rarely affects me. But I have a hard time understanding how some people can be so blatantly inconsiderate.
This lead me to wonder how I could let people like the truck driver know when they're being total douche's without being confrontational.
There is an artist (whose name eludes me) who used to hand out these amazing business cards that said something like: "Hello, I am black. You may not have known that, which could be why you chose to talk in a way that you didn't realize I would find offensive" when she found herself in a conversation that was racist. She was a black woman with fair skin and was often mistaken for white. You can imagine how uncomfortable she must have been to find herself in conversations where African Americans were talked about negatively. So she decided to hand out those business cards whenever she found herself in a situation where she was mistake for someone who would have been interested in racist dialogue.
I'm not wanting to go quite that far with it. After all, I did say 'without being confrontational' (aka: I'm scared). But maybe I could make up some business cards like this:

Congratulations! You've been
awarded a DOUCHE AWARD.
Due to your recent behavior, the
Douche Committee deemed you worthy of
an award. To see what you've won,
please go to
www.doucheawards.com

(and then I'll set up some bogus website where I can give examples of people being douches.)

What do you think?

3 comments:

Middle Girl said...

I would hazard a guess that there is probably already somethiing of the kind in existence. I know that there is a -bad tipper- site (or several). Conversely there is a sit to complain about bad service (restaurant & otherwise).

I think people who are exhibiting a certain behavior should be called on it, somewhere, somehow.

Gail Peck said...

I seem to remember some similar incident in the past which I pointed out at the time Justin would be much happier if you went on your merry way.
BTW, your writing is getting so good--I'm imagining you as a famous author when I get older and I'll say I knew her when....

Anonymous said...

You need some bright yellow bumper stickers to carry around that say "Proud recipient of a Douche Award"!