June 28, 2008

Another Beautiful Day

Most Seattlites like to brag about suffering through nine months of clouds and rain for three months of blissful summer and I have to admit that these three months are definitely worth bragging about. Today might actually reach 90 degrees but if it does, it will be a record. Normally, the end of June is greeted with 70 and 80 degree weather and a nice cool breeze off the Puget Sound. In fact, such a breeze is blowing against my face right now.
I looked at my gym class schedule this morning and was disappointed to see that my yoga instructor isn't teaching this morning but on the up-side, Logic suggested we walk down to the water and get some coffee. We'll be leaving here in a minute and I can't guarantee that we'll be back anytime soon. We often get caught up in the beauty of the boats, kayaks, ferries and jet-skis zooming across the serene, cobalt water and the entertainment that ensues when most of Seattle tries to cram their beach blankets, barbeques and coolers onto the small Alki Beach.
Our enjoyment of the chaos is multiplied by the fact that we live just far enough off the beach that when we are home, the most noise we hear is a woodpecker slowly knocking over the unstable house next to us. We can strain our ears and still not hear horns honking, mother's yelling at their kids and music blaring from portable iPod speakers. And yet, we're still close enough that we can put on our flip-flops and casually make our way to the noise without breaking a sweat, or having to deal with the stressful ordeal of finding a parking spot.
I recently came to the conclusion that there is no where else I'd rather live, and that's a big deal as anyone who knows me would agree. The grey winters can be brutal. But I like to think of those nine months as Mother Nature's way of ensuring we get to enjoy the most beautiful three months of vibrant summer on Earth.

2 comments:

Whiskeymarie said...

MN is very similar- winter is long and hard, summers are usually nice. Unfortunately for us, though, the last few summers have been so ungodly hot that they've been hard to enjoy.
Sigh.
Maybe I should move to Seattle.
;)

Gail Peck said...

What a wonderfully written visual piece you've written young lady. I can't imagine that I could endure those gray months but I'm thrilled to (hear)read you sounding so cheerful.