May 20, 2009

Sometimes I Forget Why I Blog

There are a few reasons why I write. One of them is because it's therapeutic. Another reason is to remember the little things that make up my life.
This last weekend was one of those moments I don't want to forget. I went to a cabin with my husband, my dear friend Daniel, and his friend.
We didn't realize that the ferry ride to Vashon Island would be such a hot ticket so after accidentally cutting in front of a group of cars, seeing the sluggishly slow moving line, having a confrontation with another driver, and realizing that we wouldn't get on the next ferry - or the one after that, we turned around and drove a little out of the way to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and over the Sound to a beautiful little cabin in Mason County.
The house was a pleasant surprise - much nicer than I anticipated and it happened to be waterfront - again a nice surprise. The house was stocked with everything you could possibly want or need. LCD tv, dvd players, games, loads of food, kayaks, bikes, and more. Our plan, however, was to do as little as possible so we made a conscious decision to ignore most of those things. Instead, we did have a bit of a summer romance with Sudoku Deluxe.
Daniel and his friend were great company. Daniel and I always have a lovely time being snarky and my husband enjoys his company as well. His friend, Noam, is from Israel and has only lived in the U.S. for a year and a half. Spending a weekend with him was a delight and an education.
He was practically dropped here after accepting a job and had no one to help integrate him. He spoke Enlish well and even understood our sardonic American humor but his life has been very different from mine. While growing up in Israel, Noam had to deal with constant security threats and even spent three years in the Israely Army - catching suicide bombers.
Yes, it was a very interesting weekend.

No comments: