January 29, 2007

The New Introvert

I have always been an extrovert. To the point where I sometimes wish I would shut up. Being the youngest of 6 children, I blame it on my ranking. It was my way of trying to prove to everyone that even though my mom (to this day) calls me by my older sister's name, I am an individual.
Being an extrovert (in my case) requires a certain social capability. You have to enjoy other people's company and be entertaining enough to attract some as well. This has never been a problem for me. I would much rather be in a social setting than sitting at home. It really didn't matter what I did - as long as I had a fun story to tell later. (Now I'm starting to wonder if that's actually the writer in me, but I digress.)
But in the last few years since marrying Logic I've seen that for him, being alone can be just as fun. Logic is the epitomy of an introvert. He would rather spend the night at home than out in public anyday. It pains him to be social and after many attempts at trying to 'teach' him, I have claimed defeat. It was when I raised my white flag that I discovered I would have to choose - either I spend less time with him and go do my own thing, or I learn to enjoy his rituals of camping out in the house all weekend.
I decided to compromise. But it wasn't until recently that I learned to be okay with that. Always trying to improve upon the good thing that I am (heehee), I decided to try and figure out why I wasn't allowing myself to enjoy the alone time that I had available to me. Was I afraid to spend time in my head? Worried that I would bore myself? I'm not sure. But whatever fear I had, it was way off.
For the past few months I've focused a lot of energy on learning to be okay with myself. Just myself. And I've learned that: I enjoy reading memoirs, writing soothes me, exercise is vital for my mental-health and that I'm not so left-wing-liberal as I thought I was (although, I'm still pretty left-wing-liberal). Once I finally took some time to figure out what all the introverted hype was about, I started to learn things about myself. Things that were muffled by the crowds I used to consume my time in.
I still consider myself an extrovert. Mostly because when I do find myself in the company of others, I can't shut up. But I also learned that there is an introvert living inside me - wanting to read, write and ride my bike all at the same time.

No comments: