October 22, 2007

I Carry Your Heart (I Carry It In My Heart)

I watched the movie In Her Shoes yesterday. I went into it with some trepidation because Cameron Diaz can make or break a film. But Toni Collette and Shirley MacLaine prompted me to watch it anyway.
It starts out with a younger sister and an older sister in their same old rut. The younger, Cameron, is irresponsible and the older, Toni, takes care of her. But Cameron's character finally goes too far and Toni forces her out. It's a story of what it's like to be a sister. Loving, hating, fighting, hating some more, growing apart and then growing up.
There is one scene in particular that stood out for me and made me think of my sister, Paige. She and I have had our ups and downs. Lots of loving, hating, fighting, hating.... and I think we've finally reached a plateau. A place where we have accepted each other for who we are and also loved each other for that. I'm sure our relationship will continue to change but this poem will always sum it up:

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart)


i carry your heart with me (i carry it in

my heart) i am never without it (anywhere

i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done

by only me is your doing, my darling)

i fear

no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want

no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)

and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant

and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows

(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud

and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows

higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)

and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

by E.E. Cummings


I love you Sister!

3 comments:

Middle Girl said...

Lovely poem, lovely sentiment.

Paige said...

Awe! Thanks, sis. Love you too!

Whiskeymarie said...

Funny- I just watched this movie in our hotel room this past weekend instead of taking a nap. Cute movie- very good for those of us with sisters...