November 07, 2006

Confinement

Last night Logic and I were literally confined to our bedroom. He had the day off and started putting a sealant on the floors around noon. The sealant goes under the hardwood we're installing and it had to sit for 12 hours before we could walk on it. So after applying the sealant, he cornered himself in the bedroom with our two cats and a stockpile of necessities.
Necessities like cat food, the litter box, DVD's, our computer, water, and his cell phone.
He called me about 15 minutes before I left work to advise me that I needed to call him when I got home because he would have to help me get in the house.
Once there, he met me at the door and grabbed my purse, dinner and the mail from my hands. Then he helped me leap from the doorway to the bathroom. After that he showed me how to hang from the doorframe and swing from the bathroom to our bedroom. Since it was my first attempt, I under-estimated the momentum needed and he had to grab me by the waist to prevent me from falling face-first into the wet floor.
The actual confinement was kind of fun. In a strange way it almost felt like we were camping. We had everything we needed and getting to a bathroom was a challenge.
This whole renovation process has been quite an ordeal. For me, it's been a lesson in patience and for Logic it's been a lesson in dealing with me and my lack of patience. I'm starting to think that programs for engaged couples are going about their lesson plan the wrong way. They need to put couples in high-stress situations like home renovation and if they succeed without killing each other then they know they can make it through anything.

No comments: