February 24, 2007

Hip Hop Star

(insert Beyonce:
"Baby, let me know if you wanna roll
With this hip hop star
Bad boots on pants down low
I'm a hip hop star
Baby let me know if you wanna ride with this
Hip hop star
I'm a rock star")
I started taking ballet and jazz when I was in 4th grade. My friend Jennifer Holcolm was responsible for that.
It started out as a fun thing to do with a friend and turned into my creative outlet. I took classes throughout high school and even joined the dance team my senior year but after graduation I found it harder to find the time to pursue my favorite hobby.
While in Florida, I took a hip hop class at the community college only to find that I was completely out of my league. I got really discouraged and figured my dancing days were over.
But dance has been tugging at me lately. I tried to appease it by going to a few clubs but that wasn't enough. It wasn't just about the movement, it was about being in a classroom and surrounding myself with others who are as passionate as I am.
So this morning I finally got up the courage to attend a hip hop class at my gym. I walked in the room full of nerves - not knowing what to expect. Afterall, the last hip hop class I took was overwhelming; with people doing headstand twists and acrobatics. But as I looked around the room I saw people just like me. Most of them dancers looking to get back into it, but also a few people who just wanted to have a good time. The class started and I felt rigid. My body wasn't moving the way it was supposed to. But as time went on, I found my groove. And I have to say that It.Felt.Amazing!!! I am on a dancer's high right now and I can't wait to do it again.
Next class is on Monday and come hell or high water I will be there.

2 comments:

Middle Girl said...

Sounds fun.
Maybe this will help get your music back.

Glad you're having a blast. :)

Amaya said...

It's interesting how different music feels when I'm dancing. I can even manage to enjoy Fergie.