February 14, 2007

(Un)Happy Valentine's Day

Logic has always hated Valentine's Day. Being the hopeless romantic, er, realist that he is, he doesn't like commercial holidays. (Don't even get me started about Christmas.) After 8 years together, his opinion of the holiday has all but ruined it for me. I no longer expect anything from him. In fact, I started telling people that we don't celebrate the day because I'd given up. So I got up this morning, expecting nothing from him, and headed into work.
As I was reading the morning news, I stumbled across an article on msnbc.com called The Ugly Side of Valentine's Day. It talked about how the Valentine's Day industry is encouraging such things as forced child labor in the cocoa fields, non-union workers inhaling pesticides on flowers, blood diamonds, deforestation for greeting cards, and sweatshops for lingerie seamstresses.
The article got me thinking; either Logic wrote the article under the name Alexandra Gekas, or there are people out there who are just as bitter about Valentine's Day as he is.
So to any of you who agree, here is some ammunition when your significant other hounds you about your lack of interest in the day. But if you, like me, are still a hopeless romantic after reading this, remind your significant other that Valentine's Day doesn't need to be about buying you anything. It can be about cooking a nice dinner at home, watching a favorite movie or even playing a board game. Just do something to show you care.

2 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Ummmm...you may not want to visit my site today...

Amaya said...

Ha! I'm guessing you'll use my post as ammunition?