June 07, 2007

Training Led Me To Drink... Caffeine

My manager asked me to train the new guy. I was flattered and relieved. My job can be very interesting or extremely monotonous depending on the day.
I saw this as an opportunity to feel engaged and busy for a few weeks. I didn't take into consideration how much talking I would need to do. Now, for anyone who knows me this may come as a shock, but in recent years I've mellowed out a bit and no longer need to explain every detail of my day to anyone who will listen. (This blog may have something to do with that, but I digress.) When I'm at work, I like to listen to my music or the news, etc. It gives me focus and sets the tone for my day.
But when I'm training, I have to structure my day in a completely different way. Slowing everything to down to explain, answering questions I don't necessarily have answers to and trying to put the 'first-day-jitters' at ease. It's exhausting, damnit!
The first few days I dragged my feet through the threshold of my condo and spent the next few hours searching for the energy to fix dinner and pack my lunch for the next day before crawling into bed an hour earlier than usual. It was on day three that I finally put two and two together. "Doh! It's the training that's making me so tired!" And it's because of this training that I'm off the wagon. Caffeine is the only thing getting me through the day at this point.
Oh sweet White Chocolate Mocha! How I love thee!

1 comment:

Gail Peck said...

I remember training a few new employees--in my case, they already knew part of the job--the patient interaction part, but not the paperwork, and the doctor part. It was totally exhausting because it interrupts the usual flow of a work day. I had to work extra hard not to be bitchy!