July 24, 2007

The Last King of Scotland - Review

Let me just start off by saying I am not a proponent of violence in movies. But I do think a movie should be given leniency when trying to make a point. And in TLKOS the violence is necessary.
If you've never heard of it, it's the story of Idi Amin's brutal ruling of Uganda in the 1970's.
Because this story is based on fact, I cannot argue with the overwhelmingly grotesque aggression that was portrayed but had I known the film would be so graphic, I would have never watched it.
(The movie is still resonating so this may be impartial from a woman with a delicate psyche. Consider that my disclaimer.)
Yes, it is based on fact. Yes, it is important for people to understand what goes on outside of their country. Yes, people need to learn about history in order to prevent it from repeating. But this movie is so savage in parts that I am still battling a rumbling stomach - nearly 12 hours later.
Proceed with caution.

2 comments:

Gail Peck said...

I've yet to see The King of Scotland but I'm a big fan of depressing movies. No silly blockbusters for me!

Amaya said...

This is your movie then.