August 21, 2007

The Rural Juror

That title is for anyone who watches 30 Rock as much as I do. (It really has nothing to do with this post. It's Jenna's movie title that no one can figure out.)
But seriously, this post is about jury duty. And how I have it.
I love my right to vote. Love it! But I was under the impression that if I didn't register, I wouldn't be called on to have jury duty. So I postponed having that right out of fear. Luckily, I snapped out of it and have been a proud voter for 4 years now. I vote on everything from presidential races to local road planning. And it makes me feel empowered (even if the presidential election is decided before they can count Washington's contribution).
I know I should feel a sense of responsibility and pride at the thought of being a juror but the thought of deciding someone's fate is awfully daunting. So when I received a notice in the mail last week indicating I'd been selected for jury duty I was surprised at my reaction. I wasn't scared, I was curious. What is this process going to be like? (From what I hear: really boring.) Will I be selected for anything? Will I feel like the girl who didn't make the cheerleading team if I'm turned away? What kind of case might I be put on? All of these thoughts have been swirling around in my head, waiting for answers. And I will have those answers. On September 12th.

1 comment:

Gail Peck said...

I've been on two juries--people are right it can be boring. On the other hand, it can be entertaining and enlightening. Bruce has received a federal grand jury notice