December 12, 2007

Banter

As some of you may know, my dad and I email back and forth throughout the day. In the morning, our conversations are about how our previous evenings were spent and what our intentions for the day are. But as the morning turns into afternoon, our conversations digress and we find ourselves making up silly stories. To the untrained eye, it would sound like jibber-jabber but between the two of us, it is full of inside jokes and a lot of teasing about my mom.
For instance, I think I've said this before too, we like to kid that my mom is a drunk. Not funny in most situations (and I don't mean to make light of a very serious condition), but we find humor in it because in all actuality, my mom rarely drinks alcohol. And somewhere along the line, we agreed to include drugs into our little fantasy.
So today, when our banter turned into this:

Dad: Don't look now, but you have some mustard on your upper lip.
Me: How did that mustard get there? I haven't had a hot dog for 2 days now.
Dad: You need to wash your face more than ever four or five days.
Me: Well, no one told me that.
Dad: Not even your mother?

I couldn't help but reply with this:

Me: You sound surprised.
How does her saying go again?...
Wash my face?
What's the point?
I have Mary Kay.
Now pass the joint.




3 comments:

Middle Girl said...

Oh wow, that is awesome that you have this thing with your dad.

MS CUTE PANTS said...

OMG! Me and my dad too make fun of my mom being drunk after just one glass of wine. And it sure is funny, especially since like yours she doesn't drink more than three glasses of it a week! And she could care less!

Whiskeymarie said...

You guys are adorable.