December 28, 2007

Orientation

I completed a year and a half of college before moving to Florida with Logic. Looking back, I really should have stayed to complete my AA but I was in love and in a hurry to see the world. Naively, I believed I'd continue school in Jacksonville. I even registered and took 2 classes my first semester there. But half way through the semester I learned that my credits from Oregon wouldn't transfer and instead of taking all General Ed classes over, I chose to halt my education until we moved back to the West Coast.
So I quit school, got a full time job and brought home the bacon while Logic finished up with his BS. (How appropriate that Bachelors of Science is the same as Bull Shit. Just my opinion.) A month after his graduation, we packed up a U-Haul and drove cross-country for the second time. We settled into Seattle and I waited for residency to kick in so I could apply to the UW. But somewhere along the way things got complicated and I got scared. We bought a condo and moved to the West Seattle peninsula. Time progressed and so did my fear of managing school with my ever-expanding grown-up responsibilities. So I put it off. And then I got sick of my job. That pushed me to finally make the leap and I applied to the UW day program in July. And then I waited. And waited.
It wasn't until November 30th that I finally received a letter from school, only it wasn't what I wanted to hear. They'd turned me down. No explanation, no nothing. I moped around for 2 days before Logic brought it up.
There had been a blue slip in the UW packet that asked me to apply to the Evening Degree Program instead. When I first read it, I considered it a slap in the face. "You're not good enough for our day program, but our standards for the night classes are really low so you should look into it." Logic asked me to consider it. He talked about how much he enjoyed the few night classes he took at JU because the students were focused and mature. There weren't girl's giggling in the corner about haircuts and shoes and no guys around talking about their latest conquests. No, the night classes were full of adults. Hard working adults who were making sacrifices to be there.
Not wanting to lump myself in the 'adult' category quite yet, I squirmed at the thought of being surrounded by OLD PEOPLE. But curiosity got the best of me and I decided to look at the curriculum. Interesting classes jumped out from the website more often than I expected and I found myself comparing the schedule I thought I wanted to the one that was staring me in the face. And it seemed the new one was winning. So I decided to apply. Just to see what would happen. And you know what? I got in.
Last night I went to Orientation and met with advisers from financial aid, registration, the health center, the English program and even talked with a Professor from Anthropology. Today I am meeting with an adviser to set up my schedule for classes and in two weeks I'll actually be a student! I can't believe this is finally happening!

6 comments:

Whiskeymarie said...

Good for you! I need to be hopping back up on that wagon myself soon.

Gail Peck said...

I am so excited for you Jen--I'm glad I finally learned what happened. Believe me, you'll be far happier in the evening--remember your profile for this blog--you'll fit in beautifully I've no doubt.

Gail Peck said...

One more thing--I resent the term(particularly the caps!) OLD PEOPLE. My classmates loved me.

Amaya said...

Gail, I was only being facetious. Sorry to offend.

Sexy Lexi said...

Ditto on the night classes. I took a few during my college years to get some general ed. credits out of the way, and they were surprising easy and much more mature. Plus, I'm a night owl, so I loved going at night!

Again, kudos for getting back on the wagon!

I lived in Jax from 2002-2004...I wonder if we ever crossed paths?!

Amaya said...

You poor thing! What made you go to Jax? Man, I hated that city. People were so rude and it was stinky with a dirty beach. (hope you didn't adore it there).
Yeah, that's funny that we were there at the same time. I lived in Mandarin for a year and then switched to Jax Beach. How about you?