December 19, 2007

I'm Having A Moment

A few years ago a co-worker introduced me to blogging. She is a mentor to me, and has been since my very first day on the job. As a scared fish thrown into a big pond to figure things out on my own, she was there to explain and guide me until I learned my way around.
Little did she know when she showed me her blog that she would be giving me a tool I would desperately need in the coming months. Anxiety would rear its ugly head in a way I had never experienced before and writing became this cathartic savior for me. (If you're really bored, you can read through some previous posts and see, very obviously, which days were spent struggling to make sense of the mis-firings in my head.) Somewhere along the way, I found my voice and learned to dissect my thoughts. I credit this blog for a lot of that.
In the beginning, I searched blogs for inspiration and guidance. Some of them are still in my blog-roll while others have gone by the wayside. I love the interaction that this world provides. And more importantly, reading other people sort through their shit too; and come out stronger and wiser. I love that this forum provides lessons in life and that it's not all happy endings and butterflies. These are real lives, real stories and real solutions.
One such blog came to me through flickr. I can't even remember how I stumbled upon flickr, but it quickly tied for first place with blogspot for my affection. One of the first random pictures I saw was of a mother and daughter. It was pure emotion. Creamy white skin merged with cocoa-butter skin in such a natural way. I stared at it for a long time just loving how open this person was with her life. So willing to share. From that day forward, I have tried to follow her photography, and in turn, I started reading her blog.
Today I casually read her post "You Can't Miss What You've Never Had...Except Once In A While" and had to do a double take when she included one of my posts in her story. I guess you could say I had a Moment. I admire her creativity through writing and photography immensely. So for her to say Banter was "beautiful, funny and touching"; well that just blew me away.
It just goes to show how powerful this medium is.

2 comments:

Gail Peck said...

I'm so proud of you!

Lachlan said...

I'm touched, and sorry I didn't see this sooner.

*hugs*

I'm grateful to know that I helped, in some small way. I know you've struggled, but you've grown so much. And your writing is but one of the ways this is reflected.