July 22, 2008

From Molly



After reading Eat, Pray, Love two times, I saw that Elizabeth Gilbert was on Oprah and I watched diligently. I even took notes. The book came into my life at a time when I really needed it and I was absorbing anything and everything I could find in relation to it.
In the interview remember Elizabeth saying that she really just wrote it for herself as a sort of ladder to help herself out of the dark hole that she was in. I loved that imagery because I often saw myself slipping into the abyss during a panic attack and the image of climbing out on a ladder was really powerful.
Her interview was really interesting, inspiring and thought provoking but what stands out the most was when she said that she wrote in her journal every night and she always filled out two columns. In one column she finished this sentence: "What I really, really, really want is..." and in the other column she finished "My favorite thing about today was.."
Today is going to be a really great day! First of all, I got to sleep in because Logic had to go to Olympia for work and we weren't able to carpool. Second, I woke up to George resting his head on my face and purring. And third, one of my dearest friends Lilikoi and her dear, dear husband, Ranger are coming to visit tonight. I haven't seen them in a little over a year and I am jumping up and down with excitement.
But in spite of all of the amazing things that have and will happen today, when I crawl into bed tonight I am going to finish "My favorite thing about today was..." with "getting this picture from Molly."

3 comments:

Middle Girl said...

I guess I am destined to read this book. I heard about it some time ago and then, promptly forgot about it. This is now the 2nd time inside of a week that I've seen it mentioned in a blog.

Indeed, celebrate the joys of the day!

Gail Peck said...

A beautiful picture and a thoughtful gift from Molly. We've talked about the book in the past--it's wonderful how it spoke to you so powerfully. I also like how you call her Elizabeth as if she were your friend which in a way she is.

Whiskeymarie said...

I have resisted this book because I am belligerent and tend to resist whatever everyone seems keen on these days. But, it does sound interesting enough to take a peek.
I have a feeling I'd like it.