May 07, 2007

How Quickly Things Change

I was sitting in a queue, waiting to get on a ferry boat on Bainbridge Island. I was in a car with Logic, Melanie, Kenny and their baby Anika. We'd just finished dinner and were heading back to Seattle after a day-long adventure through part of the Olympic Peninsula.
My purse was on my lap, otherwise I would never have felt my phone vibrating. I looked to see who it was: Paige. We often talk and I figured she was just checking in. Not wanting to be rude to our guests, I sent it to voicemail. But as soon as my voicemail saved her message, Logic's phone started to ring. Paige again. Knowing that something must be up, I checked my messages. The message was marked urgent which she'd never done before."Amaya, call me as soon as you get this. It's about Lili and her parents."So I dial her number. When she picks up I learn that Lilikoi's Dad shot himself.
He'd been suffering for a long time from a number of different ailments. Mostly mental. I wasn't too surprised actually. But when Paige mentioned that Lilikoi's Mom was home at the time, my breath caught in my throat. How could he do something so final and selfish when his beautiful, loving wife was in the next room? How must it have felt to hear the shot and run through the house only to find him dead?
I thanked Paige for calling and immediately dialed Lilikoi. Hearing her cracked voice sound so timid on the other end broke my heart. I knew of the unhealthy relationship she had with her father, but I also knew of the unwavering love and closeness that she shared with her mom. Wanting to reach through the phone and offer my shoulder to cry on, I could only listen. Listen and cry.
Lili is in Roseburg right now. With her mom, brother and possibly her sister. Her husband is most definitely helping to take care of them. I wonder where I'm supposed to be in all of this? Do I stay here and give them time? Do I rush down and offer my support?
For now, I sit and wait.

No comments: