May 24, 2007

My Walk

Four years ago, Logic dared me to do a backbend. We were at home, goofing off and he was trying to show me up. Not to be outdone, I lept off the couch and proceeded to do serious damage to my back. I laid on the carpet and hoisted myself up with my trembling arms and legs. I never heard a pop or snap, but the next day I could barely get out of bed. Over the next six weeks I went to physical therapy and took a variety of muscle relaxers and pain pills. I was taught how to take care of my back and which muscles to strengthen so this wouldn't happen again. I was religious about doing those stretches for about a year and then my desire, and the recollection of how painful it was, wore off and I stopped. I haven't done a backbend since, but I did make the stupid mistake of trying to one-up someone at the gym.
There was a very fit woman using an abdominal machine in a way I'd never seen before. Her legs were both to one side and she used the arm rests to crunch her oblique muscles. In between sets she would drop down and do twenty push-ups. It was amazing to watch and I felt inspired. So the next day I tried to replicate what I saw. Minus the push-ups. I sat on the bench, adjusted my legs and set the weight to fifty pounds. And as I worked through a set of fifteen, I could feel the burn shooting up my sides. I imagined myself walking around in a sports bra, as the fit woman had done the day before, showing off all of my hard work. Visualize! I told myself.
But the next morning all I could visualize was the floor. My back hurt so much that I couldn't walk up straight.
After two weeks of reiterating my previous stretches and back exercises, I was still having sciatica. So I decided to try a chiropractor. Lachlan gave me some good advice and suggested a doctor near my house. The first session was amazing! I felt a rush everytime she cracked my back and left the office in the upright position. But before I left, the doctor informed me that abdominal weight machines and high impact exercises were out of the question for the time being.
In those two weeks of pain, I was crawling up the ceiling. My body wanted to feel it's runner's high. It wanted to move. So in trying to compromise for the sake of my feet versus my back, I've been going on walks. And last night as I walked up the street, I saw this flower. I was so inspired that I rushed back home to grab my camera. I spent the next two hours walking around my neighborhood, photographing everything in sight. And I think having the distraction of the camera helped prevent my body from a revolt. There were times when I wanted to break into a sprint but then I'd see a dog waiting patiently for it's owner to take him for a walk or a unique perspective of my neighborhood from a newly found street. I have a feeling there will be many more pictures to come; at least until I can run again.
And because I like to share: here are a few shots I took. I hope you enjoy.

No comments: