September 13, 2007

A Thud in the Night

I sleep with a mask on. It keeps my eyes from wandering so I can get a better night's sleep. Without it, I would wake up and stare at the ceiling - coming up with new reasons to obsess over something. But since it requires my eyes to stay closed, I can make a conscious effort to listen to my breathing and fall back asleep rather quickly.
With my mask on, I usually find George to my left around 4:00 every morning. He sure loves to cuddle with his mama. But as a fluffy fur-ball approached this morning, I discovered it to be Grace. I had to lift my eye mask to be sure. I'm still surprised that she wanted to cuddle, she usually likes her space at night. But since she was willing to love me, I took full advantage. I turned on my side, allowing her to brush up against me and lie down close enough for some scratching.
She began to purr. And then, THUD. Somehow she managed to slip off the bed. And not Gracefully (ha!) either. It was a loud thud proceeded by four paws scampering away in embarrassment.
I wonder how long it will be before she tries to cuddle with me again?

No comments: