September 06, 2007

Happy Birthday Kinlie

My niece turned 17 today. It's like she's a real-live-person with memories and thoughts. And it freaks me out. When did she stop being "my niece" and start being a real person?
She is a manager of the Varsity volleyball team at her high school and will be spending today plus 2 more days in Great Falls with the team. Having learned that over the weekend, I called last night to wish her a happy birthday. Surprisingly, she was home so I actually got to talk to her. In fact, we talked for over 30 minutes. I think that's more than I talked to her when I used to stay over for the summer years back. It felt like an adult conversation. I gave advice, she gave her opinions, we made fun of each other. It was really great. And it made me miss her even more.

1 comment:

Gail Peck said...

Two of my nieces used to be so shy that it was impossible to carry on much of a conversation. Now that they are nearing 20 they are so animated and we share many of the same interests--cooking,fashion, and photography! Plus they are both college students just like their old aunt.