May 05, 2006

What the Hell Happened to Me?

There was nothing unusual about my morning. I crawled out of bed, stumbled through the morning routine and rushed to get to the car by 7. I got to my office building around 7:30 and this is where my day gets interesting. There were 2 men on the elevator with me. One hit the button for the 4th floor and the other was hitching a ride with me to the 11th. I remember the elevator door opening at the 4th floor and the next thing I know, I'm back on the 1st. What happened between the 4th and the 1st is a complete mystery to me.
I remember thinking about what I'd do this afternoon. Whether I'd leave early and look for a new skirt, or try to work until 5:00. But I can't understand why I was oblivious to everything else. I wonder what the other gentleman thought/did when he reached the 11th floor and got off without me? Especially since the 11th floor is the penthouse of this building. There was no where else for me to go. Did he try to gesture to me - indicating that we'd reached out destination? Did he forget I was there and rush off the elevator in a hurry to get the day over with?
As I reached the 1st floor I jolted back to reality. It was very confusing and I took a second to try and figure out what had just happened. Coming to the conclusion that I had blacked out, I quickly hit the button for the 11th floor again - making sure the elevator didn't open on the 1st and expose the fact that I rode down the elevator just to ride back up.
Nothing like this has ever happened to me before and I am completely freaked out by it.
The only optimistic reassurance I can find comfort in is that I was in a safe place. What if something like this had happened to me while I was walking through downtown? Would I have walked right into a busy intersection?

No comments: