May 30, 2006

Diary of a vege turned omni

I recently met with a doctor who recommended I try to incorporate meat back into my diet. I was a vege for over 4 years and was planning on staying that way. That is over 4 years of "gross" and "ew" running through my head at the thought of steak or even a friendly chicken tender. And now I have to change that to "great" and "phew! I'm hungry"??? I'm up for the challenge, but a challenge it has already shown to be.
I've been sluggish and tired for at least 3 years. Anemia has been my friend. And yet, I convinced myself that it didn't matter if I had type O blood or not. So what if doctors say type O requires a lot of protein and red meats?
I've dealt with narrow-minded people who ask questions like "not even chicken?" and the requisite sigh from friends and family when they realized they had to alter their holiday meal to appease me. I've even worked in restaurants - serving meat of all kinds to people. (heh. "May I recommend the Pollo Rosa Maria? A grilled chicken breast filled with fontina cheese and prosciutto, topped with mushrooms and served in our basil lemon butter sauce. It's one of my favorites.")
Coming home smelling of barbecued steak didn't affect me either. (warning) It was the concept of eating other mammals that bothered me. Just a personal choice. And it was one I stood by for four fucking years! I had so much self-control! I went without dinner on more than one occasion due to the lack of meatless entree options for god's sake! So what does that make this? The decision to change my diet - does that make those four years of sacrifice all for nothing?
Well, it was exactly because of that sacrifice that I previously declined to change my eating habits. Anemic diagnosis or lack of energy be damned! It wasn't until my anxiety revved up and my health became a major concern that I decided to consult a doctor again. I had to face the fact that my body might want this and that it could potentially help me to feel better. I trust my doctor and she suggested I try it ~ just to see if it makes a difference. What do I have to lose? Besides four years of sacrifice (yes, I'm still a little bitter).
So I started this task off slowly. You know: "meat good, meat good" mantras and visualization. But after having a gag-filled panic attack I decided to jump right in.
It's been 3 days and a few entrees of chicken later. I'm still alive! But I don't remember this metallic after-taste? And is it just me or does chicken have a lot of grisle? Maybe I should have started off with another meat? Or maybe I'm just being too picky. Maybe I need to think less and eat more? Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop thinking about the damn meat! Chicken doesn't have grisle - hamburger does. So buy the leanest possible ground beef you can. That's my opinion - not that anyone cares. Heh heh. So, again, stop thinking about the meat.

DB said...

Maybe try freerange chicken. It tastes better.

Not sure where you're located, but in my area (North Alabama) we have a good health food store that can get them.

I'm not, nor ever have been a vegetarian, but I understand the need to change eating habits due to health problems.

I hope you feel better and that your struggle eases a bit as you deal with the disappointment of this necessary change. Perhaps the former will help with the latter.

Amaya said...

That is a great idea! Thank you so much for your
recommendation honeysuckle. I think that knowing the chicken are
at least treated well and not given any additives
would help me.
Thanks for the concern.