September 06, 2006

Former Rap Fan

I used to love rap. I loved the beats, the flow.. It was rebellious and raw and it made me feel powerful. I would spend my measly paycheck on Tupac, Nas, Jay-Z and Biggie; I would hole up in my bedroom and put my favorite songs on repeat. Looking back, rap music defined my teens.
In an effort to reconnect with that sense of defiance I occasionally try to listen to what's out there today. Sadly, it doesn't take long for me to get frustrated and change it to an Alt Rock station. (Who knows, maybe Alt Rock is the new rap? The place where artists go to speak their minds and express themselves without having their lyrics all rhyme with cock?)
At first I thought this might be part of the transition into adult-hood. First comes the sporadic yelling of "damn kids" as you're cut off by a new Lexus SUV with a 16 year old driver. Then you lose your taste for rap music. But I'm starting to think it's not me... It's the rap. The shock has worn off and it's faltering.
It's not just about the beats - which have, in my opinion, grown weak and generic, but the lyrics have changed from protest to degradation. Here's an example of what I used to listen to compared to what's out there now:

Tupac - Hold Ya Head (1997)

"How do we keep the music playing
How do we get ahead
To many young black brothers are dying
Living Fast, too fast

These felonies be like prophecies
Begging me to stop
Cuz These lawyers getting money
Everytime they knock us
Slashing pockets lyrically
Suckas fleed when they notice
Switched my name to Makaveli
Had the rap game closed
Expose foes, with my hocus pocus flows
They froze
Now suckas idealize my choosen Blows
More money mean litigating
More Playa hating
Got a cell at the penn for me waiting
Is this my fate
Miss me with that mistermeaner thinking
Me fall back
Never That
Too much Tequilla drinking
We all that
Make them understand me
Hey I'll stay all night out with my Posse
Everyone roll with me is family
Cuz everybodies got me
Watch me paint a perfect vision
This life we living
Got us all meeting up in Prison
Last week I got a letter from my road dog
Written in Blood
Saying, "Please show a young playa love"
Hold your head
Hold it"



50 Cent - Fat Bitch (2002)

"I'll say something nice about ya eyes, cause you's a big bitch man
Yeah, It's nothin' but a little baby phat phat
Them Entenmann's dun got your ass fat fat
Them Little Debbie's dun got your ass fat fat
These cup cakes dun got your ass fat fat
Yeah, It's nothin' but a little baby phat phat

[Tony Yayo]
I ain't no trick, I ain't have to borrow with my wallet
Freakin' off in your car, on your closet
It ain't nothing wrong wit a big, strong girl
If you can cook your ass off, I'll give you the world
You can be skinny or fat, white or black
Nigga pussy is pussy so, yeah, I'll hit that
I'm a freak, sure I love minage a trois
And I really care lees if you twice my size

Don't be stuck on the things they say
now you know it's a nasty world ' It's a nasty world
I ain't fuckin wit you anyway
cause I know your a nasty girl - You's a nasty girl
I ain't never gon discriminate, so let me compliment your eyes

I'm a compliment your eyes
Yayo'll fuck wit you big bitches but I'm a stay the fuck away from ya

Them Twinkies got your ass gettin' fat fat
Them cookies got your ass gettin' fat fat
That cake got your ass gettin' fat fat
Bitch you grown, that ain't baby fat fat

Stay the fuck away from, you fuckin fat bitch
Fuck wit Tony Yayo, ho"


Granted, this is just an example of what's out there now. And to be fair, rappers have always talked about women. But it seems the fight that was once in rap has buried it's head in shame.

~I would like to make a point of discluding Hip Hop from this article. In my opinion, Hip Hop still has it's raw edge and artistry.


2 comments:

Syd said...

I'll admit to the occassional rap tune on my playlist. It's a shame how it has devolved.

Middle Girl said...

Never really much of what I would call a fan..a few made the grade,like they say, back in the day. According to my son, there are still some *positive* brothers (and sisters) rapping today--they are harder to find...because the crappy, angry, degrading stuff is what is mainstreamed, sad to say.