September 12, 2006

Hootenanny

Ever heard that word before? It's in the dictionary. Hootenanny refers to a social gathering involving folk music and is sometimes used to describe a thingamabob. But in my house hootenanny was what we called a breakfast dish that my mom made. Hootenanny pancakes were really good, but the word drove me crazy.
In retrospect I think it was during a time when everything my mom said or did was considered the ultimate in irritation to me. Whether it was the way she combed her hair or the clothes she wore - she was ripped apart nearly everyday by her bitchy darling little daughter. So when it came to some of the phrases that were a part of her vernacular/Midwest accent there was no exception. Brad instead of bread, davenport instead of couch... I could go on.
Hootenanny pancakes were just another example of my distaste for everything "mom". It got to the point where I would throw a fit whenever the word was said and I claimed to hate it more than anything else in the world.
In recent years a lot has changed in my life. Mostly, I grew up. I became aware of the fleeting reality of life and the importance of the loved once I share it with. And most importantly, I've learned that my mom is one of the coolest people I'll ever know.
Honestly we don't have much in common, but that doesn't matter. I learn from her and she learns from me. And we both love each other enough to continue to work at our relationship.
One of the realities of life is the probability that I will outlive my mom. But at least I will have the joy of remembering her whenever someone describes a folk festival or tries to explain a thingamabob.

1 comment:

Middle Girl said...

That's a fantastic evolution.
My relationship with my mom has seen more changes than a big broadway musical. While we loved each other, we haven't always liked each other. We've each learned to accept our differences and move forward.
Mothers and daughters-I've read much on the subject and I remain confounded and amazed by the energies of these relationships.