December 05, 2006

Lilikoi

Tomorrow is a very tumultuous day in the history of Amaya. It's the day my dear friend Lilikoi got married. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE her husband and am so happy for them. But 3 years ago, as she was preparing to walk down the aisle, I was no where to be found. You see, she had flown from Hawaii to Florida for my wedding only a few months prior but due to some complications I wasn't able to make it to hers.
I had a very tough decision to make. Should I fly to Hawaii for one of my best friend's weddings? Or to Oregon to meet my new neice? Ultimately, I chose Oregon. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, but I stick by it. Allison has become such a huge part of my heart and I am so grateful to have been there right after she was born.
Even though I have my neice's birthday to celebrate, this time of year makes me sad because I am reminded that I missed Lili's wedding. It wasn't only the day that I missed out on, but the months leading up to and after. Her feelings were so hurt when I told her I wouldn't be coming. So hurt because she thought I didn't put the same priority on our friendship that she'd did. We didn't talk for over a year.
I continued to email/write/call her but to no avail. I guess my persistance was an attempt to show her that she was (is) so important to me and that I wasn't willing to give up.
6 months after her wedding, as Logic and I were preparing to move across the country I wrote her a long letter telling her how important she still was to me and that I would continue to let her know what's going on in my life. A few months after that, I got a reply.
It was one of the happiest days of my life. That letter was the first step in resurrecting an important relationship that I hold very dear to my heart. And everytime she emails/writes/calls me, it's as if I'm getting that reply all over again.

~lili, I am so grateful for your friendship. And I will always regret not being there for your wedding. I love you and I hope you have a very Happy Anniversary this Thursday.

No comments: