December 17, 2006

The Best News I've Ever Heard

My parents are flying in on Tuesday and will be staying with Logic and I for 4 days. We live in a one bedroom condo that is approximately 650 square feet. It's a little "cozy" for the 2 of us, but we've grown accustomed to it and find that we really don't need any more space. That is, unless we have company.
We typically give our bedroom to whomever is staying with us so they can have some privacy and be somewhat isolated from our daily routines. My parents will refuse this. They will end up sleeping on our air mattress in the dining room.
The sleeping arrangements most likely won't affect them much. They wake at the crack of dawn and enjoy pampering their kids. I'm sure I'll wake up to fresh coffee, hot pancakes and newly starched clothing. Not to mention a good back scratch from my dad and a cheerful "good morning!" and a kiss on the forehead from my mom.
Even though they are the most accommodating people, I want to make sure they are comfortable. And due to a recent storm (which I'm sure you have heard about) I was concerned that they'd be sleeping in a corner next to our yet-to-be-installed kitchen sink and piles of maple flooring.
When the storm hit I wasn't so much concerned about having to eat jerky for a few days or huddling next to the fire, but how we were going to manage to get the house in order without our power tools. Our bedroom was still empty. No furniture, no flooring. And our kitchen didn't have any counters or (as I previously stated) a sink.
Luckily, Logic was able to install the counter before the power went out but the bedroom was still vacant. The power went out around 11:00 on Thursday night and reluctantly came back on Saturday afternoon. So for 2 days we sat in anticipation. Yesterday morning Logic finally had enough. He decided he would start to lay the maple in our bedroom and customize the panels by sawing them by hand. In the meantime, knowing I couldn't do much to help, I decided to go to the gym.
As I was walking down the street from my car I got a text message saying "POWER!".
That had to be the best news I've ever heard! I cannot tell you how relieved I was to know we still had a fighting chance of getting things done before Tuesday.

~ as a footnote: I did continue to remind myself that we were still very fortunate. Even without power, we had a roof over our heads and said roof did not have a tree in it.

No comments: