December 21, 2006

Backfire

Paige and I pride ourselves on giving good gifts. We slave over lists, the internet, and more lists until we're convinced that the recipient will be pleased with what we got for them.
We don't expect everyone else to work as dilligently as we do, but we expect some effort. And the idea of family members not getting gifts due to another's lack of initiative has led us to extend our efforts for other members of the family.
It wasn't until last year that we realized our other 2 sisters were taking advantage of the situation and waiting for us to do their shopping for them. This angered both of us and we decided not to help them out this year. With the exception of having them go in on one gift with me, I deliberately made sure to do the rest of my shopping with only me in mind. I thought I'd handled the situation rather well, even referring them to each other in the hopes that they'd work on things themselves.
But yesterday, as my Mom and I were in Pier One we received a call from not just one, but both holiday-shopping-impaired sisters asking mom to help them with their gift giving. And since Mom is in Seattle with me, I will be helping her help my sister's give gifts. How did this happen?

No comments: