July 12, 2006

Lewistown - Home part 5

After 4 1/4 years living in Roseburg, my parents surprised everyone by announcing they would be packing up and moving to MT where my dad was offered another admin position. That would mean that I would be leaving my friends and more importantly, Onni behind and traveling to a place that I had no desire to go.
We knew the move wasn't permanent so my parents never purchased a house. We rented a place across the street from the high school (great, a daily reminder!) and I can honestly say that none of us liked it.
It is for this reason that I find it so ironic that I never found a 'home' in Lewistown. The one place that I needed it the most! I spent a lot of time in my bedroom, but it never felt like my bedroom. The walls were pale pink (at a time when I HATED pink) and the room was so small that I literally had to cram my twin sized waterbed (yes, I had a waterbed... and thank god! It was so cold there that I had icesicles growing on a wall!) in there with a dresser and only had a small pathway to manuever through. AND it smelled of cat urine.
The weather was only bearable for about 4 months out of the year so I couldn't exactly find my "home" outside and the house was so small that I didn't have any non-communal space.
If I had to describe my home in MT it would probably be in any random place with a warm beer in my hand. After all, it is what I spent the majority of my time doing.
Lewistown had a reputation for one thing: alcoholic teenagers. I'm not kidding. I actually dated someone my senior year who would have 'the shakes' if he went more than 12 hours without a drink. And sadly, I don't think I was far behind.
You know, at the time I thought it was a lot of fun. I'd go visit friends in other towns and have some really fun* stories to tell. I even had a sort of celebrity because everyone knew OF Lewistown and its reputation.
It wasn't until years later that I realized the drinking was my way of escaping.
I'm still trying to find something positive that came out of living in Lewistown, but regardless of positive or negative, that place affected me a lot.
"And I'd like to thank the town of Lewistown for my current need for anxiety medication..."

* by fun I mean stories that seemed innocuous at the time but later turned out to be quite painful to recollect.

No comments: