August 07, 2006

Amelie

I am one of those Netflix users who has a slight obsession with my queue. I recently skimmed down my selection to 202 rentals and am seriously considering re-listing most of the movies that I just deleted. Going into a video store, I have a hard time finding ANYTHING to watch, but that crazy netflix website makes it impossible to go on the site without finding at least five movies to watch.
Even in the middle of summer I make time to watch movies. As a Seattlite, I feel a great need to be outside when the sun is out but come sun-down, I am sitting on the couch watching a movie. So these last few weeks have been very unusual for me.
I still found time to be outside, but due to trips and home renovations I haven't had the time for my movies. I had Amelie sitting on top of my tv for nearly 3 weeks and even though I'd heard such great things about it, I just couldn't find the time to watch it.
Then came Friday night. Logic and I finally had some free-time and decided to put the movie in.
Now, I usually pride myself on being able to explain a movie down to the most microscopic detail but with Amelie I'm finding it hard to explain the movie at all.
It's one of those rare gems that is so unique and lovely that there is nothing to compare it to.
It is a great story of a girl who finds a toy from a previous renter and decides to "pay it forward" to a certain extent. But even as I explain that, I find that it doesn't do the movie justice. So I guess I'll just have to trust that you will watch the movie and be able to form your own opinion/description.

No comments: