August 01, 2006

July 29th - The Wedding Finale

July 29th came and went and I'm still alive to talk about it! As many predicted, I even managed to have a good time while I was there.
We drove into town around 8:00 a.m. on Friday morning and tried to get into our hotel room early. I was suprised to find my first closeted lesbian within the first 5 minutes of arrival. She was working the hotel desk and had no qualms about checking me out. So I decided to work it to the best of my ability in the hopes that she'd let us in our room 5 hours early. Turns out I'm not seductive.
After failing to secure a room, we drove to Pandora's place in the hopes of finding a bed to nap on. But after the hugs and the tour we found ourselves wide awake. So we all drove up to Pandora's parent's house and found a beautiful breakfast spread. We sat out on the back deck and ate specialty muffins and sipped on orange juice. Then we decided to stop by the Bed & Breakfast Pandora's in-laws own to see if we could help set up for the wedding.


Here's a photo of the front yard. The house was built in the early 1900's and restored by the groom's family in the 1980's. They didn't turn it into a B&B until quite a few years later but when they did, they came up with some very creative ways to put bathrooms in every room including turning a closet into a shower!
We met the groom's family upon arrival and took a quick tour of the house. Then we spent the next 3 hours helping set up the tents and chairs in the backyard.

Who forgot to put on sunscreen? Yeah, that was me. So after 3 hours in the sun I put on some aloe vera and rushed back to the hotel for check-in so I could shower. Once I was showered, we all decided to nap before the rehearsal dinner. We set the alarm for 4:40 assuming that would give us plenty of time to get ready before the 6:00 rehearsal time.
Now, I don't even remember the alarm going off, but apparently our friend turned it off in mid-sleep and none of us noticed until 5:20 when Logic woke up. We all lept out of bed and were at the front steps of the B&B as the church bells were chiming 6:00.
The rehearsal went quickly and the next thing I knew we were sitting down to a home-cooked bbq. Justin picked the steak and I chose the chicken but we ended up sharing. It was probably the best steak I've ever had! And then the dessert came out - chocolate mousse cheesecake and a poundcake with fresh berrries on top. SO good!
After the rehearsal dinner we drove out to the fair and I was greeted with screams from an old friend and her husband. (this was one of the more disappointing moments on the trip. Turns out she and her husband didn't reach the potential I thought they would. Don't get me wrong, they're both successful in their professions and living in a large, beautiful home. But I remember them being polite and they showed no signs of that last weekend.) I could be wrong, but I didn't realize it was acceptable to invite your own friends to someone's wedding. Friends who don't know the bride or the groom. Is it just me or is that really rude? They also seemed rather immature for their age. Their sense of humor wasn't what I remember it being and they were not nearly as open minded as they used to be.
I also ran into an ex-boyfriend. He came over and hung out with Logic and I for a while. It was nice to see him, but it reaffirmed the fact that he was NOT right for me.
I think we stayed out at the beer gardens until midnight and then headed back to the hotel.
The next morning came too soon and before I knew it we were driving up to Pandora's parent's house to help prepare for the day. By the end of Saturday I was relieved. I made it through the wedding, was spared from seeing people I didn't care to see and even ran into a few old friends.
We woke up on Sunday and rushed up to the parent's house for a quick goodbye before we headed out of town. As we left, a pang of sadness hit me right in the gut. I guess I did miss this place after all.

No comments: