August 02, 2006

Movie Reel

For as long as I can remember, I've been a cinema fan. So much so that I used to drive my family crazy by coming home from a 2 hour movie and spending 4 hours explaining it to everyone.
I have far too much trivia in my head and an imagination that often hinders my concentration. But in the past few years my obsession with the entertainment industry has waned. Not because I don't enjoy it anymore, but because the machine that is behind the industry has exposed itself in a very unpleasant way.
Five years ago I was awe struck by every aspect - concepts, set designs, camera angles, costumes, makeup, production and story lines of most any movie I saw. But in recent years I've become disillusioned. (Come to think of it, this was around the same time that reality television and Paris Hilton emerged - but that's a whole other blog.)
I still appreciate the art of the cinema, but am rarely inspired by film anymore. So I have decided to add commentaries on movies into my blog and explain why I enjoyed/loathed it. Look for future "movie reel" blogs.

No comments: