August 18, 2006

One Man's Racial Slur is Another Man's Adjective

Where does freedom of speech end and politically correct begin? We have turned into a culture that requires such phrases as 'physically challenged' and 'overeater' but we also have court battles over the 1st amendment.
So in a day and age like ours, I couldn't help but be surprised to find a racial slur in a comment from a customer at my job. But even more surprising is that our policy department doesn't consider this blatant insult worthy of a formal action. It seems that freedom of speech has taken the front burner and respect in the work place is not even on the stove.
Needless to say, I was not only shocked, but also furious that we were choosing to turn our backs on such an inappropriate, immature attack of words.
After much deliberation, I decided to rally the troops and figure out if I was the only one upset by this. Turns out I wasn't. Management is looking into our policies to see how we can prevent this from happening again.

No comments: