March 14, 2007

The China Lady

As an adult I realize that title may sound a little un-PC. But before PC was PC, I was a young girl who had just moved from Washington to Oregon. I was befriended by Lanie despite our many differences and we were inseparable for many years.
Lanie grew up in a house that encouraged performing. Whether that be singing, playing the piano, starring in a local play or winning at charades. This provided many a late night in her house. (My family was more reserved when it came to entertaining and most of us were in bed by 10:00. Still are, actually.)
So whenever Lanie and I would have a slumber party she would struggle to keep me awake past my bedtime. I would usually make it through whatever we were doing, but as soon as we got ready for bed my eyes would droop and I would start to fade. That would drive Lanie crazy! She wanted to stay awake and talk all night. Often times I would try to oblige but as soon as it was her turn to talk, I would be out. So she came up with this idea to tell each other stories. It would be completely random and stream-of-consciousness which made it very entertaining for both the story teller and the listener.
I don't remember who's story started the tradition, but somehow we would always manage to include The China Lady. She would always shuffle her way into the storyline just as you thought you had the plot figured out. Her understanding of American culture always provided a laugh and kept the listener wondering if she was going to do something silly.
Years later, Lanie and I are still friends but are far in proximity and lacking any good sleepover time. When we do get together, The China Lady usually comes up in conversation, along with other inside jokes. But the laughter that those stories evoked will never be duplicated.

No comments: