March 07, 2007

Mindfulness

I think that growing up in a religious household put me in a place where I require some sort of spirituality. And since their religion didn't make sense to me, I've been searching for something to fill that void.
I recently looked into Kabballah; hoping it would provide some enlightenment into the all-important "why are we here?" question. I was inspired by some of Rabbi Aaron's insights in Kabballah Works: Secrets for Purposeful Living but found the teachings to be a little too 'organized religion' for me.
This lead me to consider being agnostic. But when I tried that on, it didn't fit. I needed to search for understanding. Not so much for answers, but for a greater view of what life really is.
So I decided to step back and look at the bigger picture. That's when I came across Coming To Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness. It isn't preachy like religion and it doesn't serve to answer all the questions. It just teaches how to appreciate everyday in it's purest sense and to see things for what they really are. I'm only a third of the way through it but I feel like I'm looking at life in a different way. Re-learning how to think. And finding new ways to find happiness in everyday life.
I'm sure my search will continue long after this book but I feel like I might be on the right path and that is a wonderful feeling.

No comments: