March 09, 2007

True

My first day of work was disappointing. I was ushered to my desk and left to fend for myself. Luckily for me, Uppity took notice and did her best to help. During the next few months I felt like more a part of her team than my own and even sat among her peers. And it was because of this good fortune that I met True.
True isn't her real name, it's actually Rebecca. But as time wore on, it became apparent that her ever-optimistic attitude reflected in her vocabulary as she was often heard responding to people with that four letter word. So it stuck.
The thing I liked the most about True was that she was so self-aware and honest about who she was. Her daily life was fueled by intuition and she had no desire to appease others through her lifestyle. She was a lesbian when I knew her, but during our last conversation over the phone she told me she was dating a man. She spent most of her time focused on Buddhism and quit her job when it became apparent that she wouldn't be able to spend as much time on retreats as she wanted.
But in the time that we worked together, I looked forward to every day. She illuminated joy and had a way of explaining life to me that opened my eyes and cleared my head. I was drawn to her like a moth to a flame. I wanted to learn from her, to earn her respect and in turn, her friendship.
When she left, after only my sixth month with the company she surprised me with a note on my desk and a stone with the Buddha's face carved into it.
I only spoke to her twice after that. She is a nomad in a constant quest for life and I know that searching for her would be like trying to track the wind. So instead, I think of her often and hope that one day I will see her again.

No comments: