March 12, 2007

I Am A Strawberry. I Dance On My Toes

When I was in 8th grade, my writing teacher passed around a poem. It started off with: "I am a strawberry. I dance on my toes". She asked us to write our own poem starting with: "I am not a strawberry" and to explain why. But in typical Amaya style, I was inspired to go against the grain. I thought to myself: "why can't I be a strawberry? What if I do dance on my toes?" And so I wrote a poem about being a dancer.
I was reminded of this poem on Saturday during my hip hop class. Toward the end of the class I'd managed to learn most of the routine and was able to critique myself in the mirror. I couldn't help but laugh at myself. I looked like a strawberry - dancing on my toes. I assume the dancers around me were thinking "what is the ballerina doing in this class?".

No comments: